Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tears for Magwitch

*SPOILER ALERT* IF YOU AREN'T DONE WITH THE BOOK, DON'T READ THIS!!!

Alright, I'll admit it. I teared up a little when Magwitch died.

Ever since he reentered Pip's life, he has been the most wonderful person and I just loved him. It irritated me greatly when Pip was repulsed by the man, and Pip only realized how much he cared for the ex-convict when the man was on trial. Magwitch himself even said it:

"And what's the best of all," he said, "you have been more comfortable alonger me since I was under a dark cloud than when the sun shone. That's best of all." (pg. 428)

At the same time, I understood Pip's sentiment about wishing Magwitch would die. The alternate would have been surely worse. In any case, Pip finally did the right thing when he spoke about Estella to Magwitch. His love for Estella finally proved to be helpful...

2 comments:

  1. I agree Shruthi! I think that in the end Magwitch was a worthwhile character who actually taught Pip some fairly valuable lessons. I think I was most excited when Pip gave him back his pocketbook without using any of the money. That was the point in the story where I started to respect Pip again because it takes a real man to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I am glad Pip let his true, respectable self shine through at that moment. I think the fact that he wasn't so greedy made me like him again. I am actually quite sad about Magwitch too. He showed he had such a heart under the rough things that he covered it with.

    ReplyDelete