Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Zealous

zeal-ous [zel-hus]
adjective
full of, characterized by, or due to zeal; ardently active, devoted, or diligent.

In case you have forgotten, zealous was one of the many vocab words we sadly had to be tested on. And guess what? It was in the book! Granted, you all probably have already read it because I am 95% positive that I am further behind in the book than everyone else (Sorry, Mr. Halley! I'm trying!). Anyway, I stumbled upon this word in the beginning of Chapter 24.
Is it just me, or does anyone else get really excited when a vocab word shows up? Because for some reason it makes reading Great Expectations a little bit worth it. Is that just the nerd in me coming out?

Side note, my favorite word is amiable for a couple reasons...
  • My name is Amy. AMY-able. Ya know.
  • According to Dictionary.com, it's definition is, "having or showing pleasant, good-natured personal qulaities"
  • So by association, I have pleasant and good-natured personal qualities. Obviously.

5 comments:

  1. I am (just a little bit :D) past Ch. 24, but I actually remember reading this word, thinking, I know the definition! When I was little, I read a ton of books with this word, and I never really knew what it meant but I didn't bother to look it up. I like how in this book, your vocabulary is greatly expanded. Sometimes, however, it can get a little bit excessive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like being able to learn new words but I also think it's a little much. The Old English just confuses me and I think it;s hard for me to understand some of the story line. Like iron leg for example... What?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think that the Old English text makes the story even more confusing and dense. Like, if Great Expectations was written in modern day English then I would be able to read this book much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would enjoy it more too. The plot is actually quite good but the fact that the language is so different makes me not enjoy it as much as I probably would other wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the language in here is ridiculously hard. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I have a fairly large vocabulary, and literally half of the words in here I had to make educated guesses at their definitions. Not to mention that Dickens MAJORLY rambles in this book. The descriptions really don't need all of the fancy words or nearly as much information!!

    ReplyDelete