Monday, May 28, 2012

London

On the first page of chapter 21 Pip is conversing with Mr. Wemmick (who at the moment I cannot remember his significance). They're talking about London and how Pip is new and blah blah blah. All of a sudden, Mr. Wemmick says,
"You may get cheated, robbed, and murdered in London. But there are plenty of people anywhere who'll do that for you."
Okay, well. That quote kind of just stuck in my mind and freaked me out a bit. Why does Mr. Wemmick even need to mention that? I thoroughly doubt Pip is going to be cheated, robbed, or murdered, so...

3 comments:

  1. Haha kind of scary! But maybe it's foreshadowing. Mr. Wemmick's point is to probably warn Pip that life in London is different from life in the country. Still, after rereading this quote, I'm starting to wonder.

    To answer your question, Mr. Wemmick is Jaggers' clerk, and he becomes friends with Pip. He's a lot nicer than Jaggers, but he only shows this part of him in his house. Still, I wonder if there could be more to Mr. Wemmick after reading this part. Maybe he's not all that appears to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Mr. Wemmick has experienced that before. Maybe he r someone close to him was robbed or cheated. Maybe he sees something in Pip that reminds him of either himself or someone he knew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know how to describe this so bear with me... But what I'm picking up from this quote is that all of these things can happen in London, but they happen other places too. The part that says, "...plenty of people ANYWHERE who'll do that for you." That "anywhere" shows how even though London could be known for all of those negative things, they aren't really different from anywhere else. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete