Saturday, May 5, 2012

"Why is it that the young are never grateful?"
Mrs. Hubble, page 23

This question really got me thinking. Although she's talking about Pip not being grateful that his sister 'brought him up by hand', I feel like it can be taken into the context of today. I feel like a lot of adults, young or old, don't particularly enjoy today's youth, that we are ungrateful, trouble, and a whole lot of other negative things. Personally, though, I think that a majority of our generation is rather wonderful and deserve some recognition, and since the quote that started this rant is about youth being ungrateful, I decided I'd share what I'm grateful for at the ripe age of sixteen.

-The luxury of having three meals a day.
-A family that loves me unconditionally.
-An education.
-Friends that will always be there for me.
-Living in "the land of the free".
-My iPhone.

4 comments:

  1. @Amy: Interesting insights, Amy. I think part of the problem with our lack of gratitude is due to our lack of experiences. We don't know what it's like to be without the desires that others cherish. We're use to getting what we want and we've never been without them. It's not that we're spoiled; we're just unaware. We can't really appreciate what we have until we lost it. It's still very nice of you to take the time to appreciate the things that you have. If more of us took the time to do that, it would be a happier world. My list of gratitude would contain much of the same things, and I think others also feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relating it back to Pip, I think that it isn't that he isn't grateful, it's just he doesn't know how to act grateful. I mean, his sister isn't a good example for him. Nothing's ever good enough in her eyes. He didn't have his parents as role models either. I'm sure he is grateful though because without his sister he'd be on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pip is acting ungrateful in chapter 13 especially. He is proving his sister right now that he isn't caring about the apprenticeship with Joe. He thinks he is above it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, I think I might disagree. I understand your point of view, but I think that he is a little ungrateful for his situation. He's obviously upset at his sister for being so mean to him, and I think that's clouding all of his other oppurtunities to be grateful. Because everything he has to be grateful for kind of represents his sister, he probably isn't grateful for any of it. He's also just a kid, so I don't think he understands that without his sister, he would be living on the street.

    ReplyDelete