Thursday, May 17, 2012

Who is the benefactor?

Pip seems so sure that Ms. Havisham is the anonymous benefactor giving him the funds to be a gentleman.  I am not so convinced. I don't now why, but I have a feeling it has something to do with that reoccurring convict.  The murder that they were discussing at the pub makes me think that convict got money from killing someone and he is giving the money to Pip.  I think he wants to get rid of the money to ensure there is no evidence against him.  This way Pip will get the blame.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Sam! I think there has to be something with that convict. Why else would he be introduced into the story? However, I think Pip's conclusion that the convict may be Miss Havisham is quite reasonable. After all, her snobbish adopted daughter Estella is the reason why Pip starts to feel self-conscious in the first place. Still, there has to be something with this convict.

    There's also the possibility that he's like Jean Valjean in Les Mis, and was just in the wrong place when he became a convict. This convict may not be terrible. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it would be too cliche for Ms. Havisham to be the benefactor. It would make the book way too predictable. And even though I hadn't thought of it, the convict could definitely have a hand in it.

    ReplyDelete